NC Special Assistance

Special Assistance (SA) is for aged (65 and older), blind or disabled individuals or couples residing in an adult care home, family care home, rest home or other domiciliary/assisted living facility.

Special Assistance helps pay the cost of living in such a facility. In addition, a recipient of Special Assistance is automatically eligible for Medicaid. If the individual leaves the adult care home, they may not qualify for Medicaid, because the rules for Private Living Medicaid are different than those for Special Assistance.

The Special Assistance recipient's income is used to help pay for the cost of care. The individual may keep $66 per month of their income for personal needs. The rest goes to the facility. You must apply for Special Assistance during the month you want assistance, as payments are not made retroactively.